Director of International Office (M/W)
Director of International Office (M/W)
Main working place : Louvain-la-Neuve
Unlimited full time contract
Starting date : September 2019
The University of Louvain, UCLouvain, was founded in 1425 and is amongst the top 5 French-speaking comprehensive universities in the world. It hosts more than 30000 students and 6000 staff members spread across 7 locations in Brussels and Wallonia. UCLouvain is a research-intensive university known also for its drive for quality and innovation in teaching.
UCLouvain has a long tradition of international outlook. Through international mobility schemes, international recruitments and internationalization@home activities, UCLouvain thrives to provide intercultural experiences for their students and staff. Around 20% of the student body is international, originating from more than 120 countries. One in four graduates has accomplished part of their degree abroad. All newly appointed professors have significant international experience.
UCLouvain has an extensive number of partnerships with universities across all continents. It has a long history of working with universities in Africa and South America and has its own NGO, Louvain Cooperation, to foster transfer of knowledge in the service of development. UCLouvain is also actively involved in university networks. For example, it currently holds the presidency of the Guild of European Research Intensive Universities, and it formed an alliance in the context of the European Universities initiative with the University of Oslo, Aarhus University, University of Paris Diderot, University of Lisbon, King’s College London and Humboldt University of Berlin.
Internationalization is carried out collectively at UCLouvain with the participation of all central administration services, the 14 faculties and the 21 research institutes. In this landscape, the International Office is in constant interactions with other entities and plays a key role in shaping and implementing international policies as well as coordinating international actions. The International Office is currently composed of 15 persons and its specific missions include support to staff members for the submission and management of grant proposals (Erasmus+ and other internationalization funds), monitoring at the institutional level of the university’s internationalization process, coordination of mobility programs, support for the welcoming and integration of international students, monitoring and prospection of international partnerships, preparation and follow-up of incoming and outgoing institutional visits, coordination of actions towards refugee students and scholars at risk, and liaising with university associations and funding bodies.
The Director of administration will manage the International Office, under the authority of the Director General, and will work in close collaboration with the Pro-rector in charge of international affairs. He or she will participate in the elaboration of international affairs policies and in the implementation of these policies.
As part of his or her activities and, with the support of the international office, the Director of the International Office will :
- Advise the authorities on matters related to international affairs and implement international policies;
- Manage the International Office;
- Interact efficiently with other entities within UCLouvain;
- Interact with various external stakeholders to closely monitor and detect new opportunities or constraints in terms of international affairs;
- Contribute to the development of efficient internal processes in terms of internationalization.
Required qualification and profile
At least Master level or equivalent
Profile, skills and qualities
- At least 5 years of experience in team management and international affairs
- Demonstrated experience abroad, in an international context, preferably in higher education
- Knowledge of
- Team management
- Internationalization of Higher Education frameworks (current trends) and tools (joint degrees, partnership agreements, etc.)
- European funding schemes (Erasmus+, Horizon2020-Horizon Europe)
- Models of higher education across the world, including in Belgium
- Demonstrated French and English at level C1 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) for written and oral communication
- Additional languages are an asset
- Capacity to deal with complex issues, consider UCLouvain constraints and regulations, understand demands from various stakeholders, and propose innovative and realistic solutions, adopting a problem-solving orientation
- Capacity to conduct long term complex projects, using relevant project management tools
- Excellent leadership skills, ability to manage and dynamize a team, ability to delegate
- Ability to federate people around innovative projects
- Ability to easily adapt in a changing environment
- Excellent planning, analytical and synthesizing skills
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Tact, diplomacy and empathy
- Ability to work efficiently in a collaborative context
- Ability to manage a budget
- IT skills for efficient use of office software and for data analysis and management
- The mission includes frequent travels abroad
- The International Office is located in Louvain-La-Neuve but the mission includes frequent meetings on other university sites in Brussels and Wallonia as well as meetings in different parts of Belgium with external stakeholders
- The mission includes occasional meetings in the evenings or weekends.
The Director will ideally take up his or her position in September 2019.
In order to apply, please press "postuler" hereunder.