ASL Airlines Belgium looking for a engineering manager
Purpose of the job
- The Engineering Manager is responsible to ensure that all the ASLB fleet engineering is performed on time and to the approved standard.
- The position reports directly to the Technical Director / Continuing Airworthiness Manager.
Main tasks and responsibilities
Manage a team of engineering technical specialists, project engineers and technical library to deliver in-house and to control the subcontracted engineering activities that will ensure the continuous airworthiness, safe, on time and reliable performance of the ASLB Fleet. His/her areas of responsibilities are:
- Monitor qualitatively and timely the deliverables of the engineering subcontractor.
- Manage the review, record and approve of the Airworthiness Directives and EASA mandatory requirements, of Non-mandatory Modifications and Service Information, translated into engineering orders, job card instructions, to ensure that accomplishment (including AMOC approvals if applicable) can be achieved on aircraft within an appropriate time frame and within the specified technical and financial boundaries.
- Manage to develop a detailed Aircraft Maintenance Program per fleet with respect to all existing and applicable Continued Airworthiness Instructions of the TC (STC) Holders.
- Manage to ensure adequate recording and updating of the aircraft status files in terms of Airworthiness Directives, Life Limited Parts, Service Bulletins, Technical Orders, Major inspections, Corrosion Prevention Control Programme, Supplemental Structure Inspections, Structural Repairs, Dent and Buckle Charts, etc in order to demonstrate airworthiness at any time to the BCAA.
- Ensure the timely production of the Airworthiness Review Certificate file for ARC review for renewal/extension of the aircraft Airworthiness Review Certificate. On request manages to support ARC review staff with execution of the ARC reviews and secures the independency as required by Subpart I requirements.
- Ensure that a monthly and 6-monthly Reliability Report is produced, an effectiveness analysis of the Aircraft Maintenance Program for aircraft, components and engines, is performed and engineering conclusions are formulated in order to increase overall fleet reliability and lower fleet cost and ensures the implementation of corrective actions.
- Stimulates innovation and improvements to enhance the anticipation and prevention levels and/or the responsiveness within the existing maintenance process and technical safety and reliability systems.
- Ensure that all Technical occurrences, incidents, accident and non-conformity reports are analysed and recommendations are given and corrective action implemented to ensure continued airworthiness of the aircraft and the risk of re-occurrence is minimised.
- Act as or provide a spokesman on all engineering matters in order to defend the operator’s interests towards internal (maintenance and operations) as well as external parties (contracted engineering agencies, authorities).
- Responsible for the management and control of the Technical Library for all fleets and the timely distribution of the applicable technical documents to the contracted Maintenance Organisations. To communicate any aircraft technical or maintenance data to the TC/STC holders where required.
- Manage to ensure the availability of technical engineers that can provide on request support with technical knowledge/analysis to the MCC, Part 145 Maintenance Organizations and/or to internal departments and develop the best solutions for the applicable situations.
- Manages to ensure active support of the Fleet Manager with maintenance projects (e.g. aircraft phase-in and phase-out, STC approvals ...).
- Manages to ensure the MIS is developed, maintained and kept updated with the latest fleet configuration(s) and the applicable version of the Aircraft Maintenance Program, AD’s, SB’s, and other (mandatory) requirements.
- Develop and maintain a set of procedures (TPM) detailing how the engineering activities are carried out and ensure adequate application thereof.
- Develop and maintain a set of indicators (KPI) measuring the performance of the engineering actives and ensure that the agreed targets are constantly met or exceeded.
- Enhance relationship and communication within the department and with other departments in order to ensure effective and efficient co-operation aiming to overall company performance.
- Recruit and maintain motivated, well-qualified & high-performing staff members.
- Contribute to create an environment in which new ideas and alternatives are encouraged to ensure continuous improvement in the current way of working in order to develop a challenge minded team spirit.
- Ensuring that all staff receive training in line with the established Training Policy and to secure the required knowledge levels.
- Conducting individuals staff appraisals at least twice per year in order to ensure that staff objectives are met or exceeded.
- To create a relationship and communicate with other departments and subcontractors in order to ensure effective and efficient co-operation aiming to improve overall company performance.
- To report daily to the Technical Director any impending or structural problems that might adversely affect the technical service level and report (or forward received reports) on any quality and/or performance related deficiencies.
- To ensure (lead) attendance in weekly performance meetings to ensure internal and external involvement, with focus on relevant maintenance events and to ensure appropriate actions and owners are defined for follow up.
Preferred experience/ knowledge
- Academically Bachelor or Master in Engineering.
- At least 7 years’ experience in an engineering position for an Airline Technical Dept, OEM or MRO.
- Technical aviation background with at least 10 years previous experience within an aviation environment.
- Experience in a technical management position has a preference.
- Good knowledge of EASA & FAA regulations.
- Proven managerial and leadership skills.
- Ability to coach, motivate and direct a team.
- Able to demonstrate accuracy, analytical skills and is objectives oriented.
- Ability to communicate at all levels in a clear and factual and persuasive manner, ability to act as company representative.
- Flexible and ability to work under pressure.
- Work in an organized way to be able to meet set deadlines.
- Computer literate, MS Office with good administration skills.
- Good command of the English and French language (written and spoken).
- To display a positive, open and cooperative behaviour in order to facilitate a good relationship inside and outside the department, avoid and help to solve conflicts.
- To maintain a professional office environment with due regard to confidentiality and security of aircraft data.
- To be rigorous, precise, well organized, solution orientated, proactive, etc.
- To take initiative to propose areas of improvement.
- Undetermined period contract – ISG 17 – Full time job- day shift.
- Office hours but by exception, to work during weekend, bank holiday or at night when this is required to deliver the on-time delivery of aircraft work pack.
- Available to travel abroad from time to time.