Research Manager Metabolics
Are you looking for the right recipe for your career?
Consumers everywhere are increasingly conscious of the quality of the food they eat. Puratos develops, produces and distributes a unique range of ingredients for bakers, pastry-chefs and chocolatiers who demand the very highest quality.
Founded in Belgium in 1919, Puratos is growing rapidly with over 7600 employees in 69 countries, with a consolidated turnover of over €1,6 billion last year. Our passion for innovation, pioneering spirit and core values continue to propel our global ambitions. This, coupled with our commitment to our communities, is what makes working at Puratos so magical.
Fermentation is strategic for Puratos and employed in different product categories like sourdough, chocolate and fruit. This function has to take care of the upstream research related to fermentation in these categories of products. To develop and implement upstream research portfolio related to the characterization of metabolic profiles for a wide range of food microorganisms to gain insights and create linkages between microbes within microbiomes in close collaboration with the different Business Categories involved. To bring expertise on metabolic pathways to the internal stakeholders concerned.
- Characterize metabolic profiles of a wide range of food microorganisms to gain insights and create linkages between microbes within microbiomes
- Understand the enzymes and proteins associated with metabolic pathways (for carbohydrate, protein, lipid,… production) from food microorganisms
- Development of assays and bioanalytical methods using GC/MS, UPLC or spectroscopy corresponding to the state of the art to study the flux through these pathways, including the profiling of metabolites
- Perform statistical analysis of complex datasets to aid in biological interpretation of data
- Build network, identify partners and take responsible role in network concerning metabolomics
- Follow-up and initiate external (collaborative) projects in relation to metabolomics, present and participate to external seminars and congresses
- Collaborate in R&D projects across a diverse set of scientific disciplines including fermentation, analytics and computational biology to provide insights and expertise required for successful project progression
- Communicate on metabolomics to internal and external stakeholders
- Degree in Science (Bio-engineer, Biology, Biochemistry or related discipline)
- In depth knowledge of metabolic pathways : food microorganisms, enzymes, proteins, metabolic fluxes, interactions,…
- Affinity with bakery, patisserie and chocolate
- Impactful communication skills before an audience and is able to bring complicated messages to layman
- Able to create impact in a non-hierarchical setting
- Customer centric, with a good understanding of the market needs.
- Fluent in English, any other language is a plus
- Ready to travel
Puratos values diversity. We're also interested in more senior profiles. 45+ are also more than welcome to apply for this position.
Puratos provides a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment that encourages staff to take initiatives and suggest ideas that will contribute to the success of the company. Of course Puratos offers a competitive salary package but even more, offers you a position that you can further develop and shape.