Research Manager Fermentation Biotopes
Are you looking for the right recipe for your career?
Consumers everywhere are increasingly conscious of the quality of the food they eat. Puratos develops, produces and distributes a unique range of ingredients for bakers, pastry-chefs and chocolatiers who demand the very highest quality.
Founded in Belgium in 1919, Puratos is growing rapidly with over 7600 employees in 69 countries, with a consolidated turnover of over €1,6 billion last year. Our passion for innovation, pioneering spirit and core values continue to propel our global ambitions. This, coupled with our commitment to our communities, is what makes working at Puratos so magical.
Fermentation is strategic for Puratos and employed in different product categories like sourdough, chocolate and fruit. This function has to take care of the upstream research related to fermentation in these categories of products. To develop and implement upstream research portfolio related to the identification of functionalities and substrate modifications of worldwide traditional food fermentations in close collaboration with the different Business Categories. To bring expertise on traditional food fermentations to the internal stakeholders concerned.
- Understand how changes in microbial composition and function influences the food characteristics
- Identify the functionalities and substrate modifications of worldwide traditional food fermentations
- Apply and integrate a variety of experimental, computational and statistical methods to study the microbiome populations
- Contribute original ideas to the prosecution of laboratory and/or field experimental procedures
- To innovate, develop and deliver microbiotope technologies from sample collections to analyses
- Proactively translate findings in project proposals in line with the vision & strategy of the different BU involved.
- To explore new ideas in the field of fermented food biotopes worldwide as a part of innovation
- Build network, identify partners and take responsible role in network concerning fermented food biotopes
- Follow-up and initiate external (collaborative) projects in relation to fermented food biotopes, present and participate to external seminars and congresses
- Collaborate in R&D projects across a diverse set of scientific disciplines including fermentation, analytics and computational biology to provide insights and expertise required for successful project progression
- Communicate on food fermentation biotopes to internal and external stakeholders
- Follow-up on regulatory related to the use of fermented food biotopes
- Master degree in Science (Bio-engineer, Biology, Biochemistry or related discipline)
- In depth knowledge of microbial biotopes : food microorganisms, food characteristics,…
- Affinity with bakery, patisserie and chocolate
- Impactful communication skills before an audience and is able to bring complicated messages to layman
- Able to create impact in a non-hierarchical setting
- Customer centric, with a good understanding of the market needs.
- Fluent in English, any other language is a plus
- Ready to travel worldwide (Africa, South-America, Asia,…)
Puratos values diversity. We're also interested in more senior profiles. 45+ are also more than welcome to apply for this position.
Puratos provides a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment that encourages staff to take initiatives and suggest ideas that will contribute to the success of the company. Of course Puratos offers a competitive salary package but even more, offers you a position that you can further develop and shape.