Research Manager Bioinformatics
Are you looking for the right recipe for your career?
Consumers everywhere are increasingly conscious of the quality of the food they eat. Puratos develops, produces and distributes a unique range of ingredients for bakers, pastry-chefs and chocolatiers who demand the very highest quality.
Founded in Belgium in 1919, Puratos is growing rapidly with over 8500 employees in 74 countries, with a consolidated turnover of €1,85 billion in 2017. Our passion for innovation, pioneering spirit and core values continue to propel our global ambitions. This, coupled with our commitment to our communities, is what makes working at Puratos so magical.
You are an expert in bioinformatics technologies and software tools for understanding biological data. You participate in defining a strategy that delivers optimal results in line with the Puratos’ research programs and business expectations. Finding collaborations with right external partners and platforms is key to your success. This position is based in our R&D department in Andenne.
Key tasks :
Participate in the discovery, development and improvement of current and new products in collaboration with other research teams.
- Analysing genomic, transcriptomic, proteomic, and other biological information respecting budgets and deadlines
- Supervise the sequencing, annotation and analysis of the genomes of novel strains in the frame of projects for New Enzymes Discovery and Functional Fermentation activities
- Search for new innovative enzyme candidates using relevant databases and tools
- Supervise docking analysis (3D protein modelling)
- Design and manage studies to analyse enzyme-producing strains and their behaviour during fermentation processes using “omics” technologies
- Advice on the design of genetic and fermentation strategies aimed at obtaining genetically engineered improved enzyme-producing strains and associated optimal fermentation conditions
Manage external activities and collaborations
- Promote and maintain networking and collaboration with universities and research institutions
- Manage or contribute to external projects including looking for subsidies
- Manage sub-contractors and consultants
Develop Puratos’ bioinformatics approach: methods and tools to support research projects
- Expertise in bioinformatics software and applications to meet specific project needs
- Consult with colleagues to analyse problems, recommend technology-based solutions, or determine computational strategies and advise on the use of “omics” technologies
- Develop computational approaches and analytical tools as required by research goals
- Develop and analyse large molecular datasets such as (meta)genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics and metabolomics data for research purposes
- Set-up, maintain and feed an internal searchable database with omics data
- Manipulate commercial, publicly accessible or proprietary genomic, transcriptomic, proteomic and other relevant “omics” databases
- Communicate research results through project reports and presentations
- Define, develop and maintain hardware and software required for internal bioinformatics activities (opex and capex)
- Develop methods and draft new protocols
- Keep abreast of new biochemistries, instrumentation or software by reading scientific literature and attending scientific and professional conferences
Managing Internal stakeholders
- Train colleagues in the use of bioinformatics tools
- Coordination and communication towards students, trainees and newcomers
- Postdoctoral or equivalent research experience in biology and in bioinformatics
- Knowledge in heterologous enzyme/protein expression and know-how in bacteria (Bacillus), yeasts and fungal strains
- Knowledge in programming languages commonly used in bioinformatics (e.g. Python, R,…)
- Ability to work in matrix structure and excellent skills in collaborating with different teams
- Experience in building databases and bioinformatics pipelines
- Ability to multi-task and integrate the demands of different activities in parallel
- Capacity to work independently, problem solving and “can do” approach
- Good written and oral communication skills in English and also preferably in French
- Project management skills
Both internal and external networking skills
Puratos values diversity. We're also interested in more senior profiles. 45+ are also more than welcome to apply for this position.
Puratos provides a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment that encourages staff to take initiatives and suggest ideas that will contribute to the success of the company. Of course Puratos offers a competitive salary package but even more, offers you a position that you can further develop and shape.