Senior Finance Officer
The European Environmental Bureau (EEB) is looking to recruit a Senior Finance Officer to work in the Finance and Admin Unit. We are looking for a highly motivated self-starter, eager to learn and contribute to the EEB’s work especially by providing strategic financial input to decisions covering all areas of the EEB’s work and implementing financial policies in areas such as, but not limited to: budget, cash management and forecasting, funding by donors, recording and documentation, project auditing, monthly financial reporting. The Senior Finance Officer will advise and report to the Finance, Personnel and Administration Director.
The work consists of:
- Grants financial management and reporting:
- Ensure that all grants/projects reports are discussed with the project managers and passed to donors within the required time schedules.
- Play a key role in the EEB’s core grant application, monitoring and reporting processes.
- Co-ordinate and review project budget development (proposal, grant and matches).
- Review and analyse grant budget/expenses.
- Liaise with donors and project managers regarding project income, expenditure and reporting.
- Be a key player in matters related to grants accounting and management to ensure accurate coding of expenses and full compliance with the EEB’s internal as well as donors’ requirements.
- Keep the Finance, Personnel and Administration Director informed of all major compliance issues/challenges while taking the necessary corrective steps.
- Review and advise on project proposals/budgets in regard to compliance issues for all prospective sources of funding.
- Submit end of project grant financial reports and follow up on the project close-out procedures.
- Maintain and further develop the EEB’s Grant Tracking Sheet while ensuring that the same is regularly shared with project managers.
2. Financial Accounting & Management
- Actively participate in the production of the monthly management accounts.
- Take a leading role in ensuring that all grant audit queries are responded to in a timely manner and ensure that any audit recommendations arising from such audits are promptly implemented.
- Review payment vouchers and other accounting documents to ensure proper expense coding and documentation.
Qualities and experiences required for post:
- BA or MA in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting, Economics or related field.
- Five years of relevant experience, preferably some at a senior-level.
- Practical knowledge of financial systems, internal financial controls & procedures and staff management skills.
- Good problem-solver, analytical, creative and innovative. Must be a team player and adaptable.
- Experience in major donor regulations such as those of the European Commission.
- Experience with finance systems integration and developing/maintaining project tracking tools would be an asset.
- Good written and spoken English and preferably French.
- Knowledge of WinBooks and MS Office.
- Ability to work independently and be pro-active.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Flexibility (we expect and offer flexibility regarding work schedules).
- Prepared and able to work in a dynamic working environment.
- Capability to prioritise and work with several projects at the same time.
- Good command of Excel is required.
- Interest / Experience in working in an environmental organisation or other public interest NGO and in an international working environment.
The EEB offers:
- A competitive salary coupled with various benefits: holiday bonus, 13th month, pension scheme, luncheon vouchers.
- A stimulating, international work environment.
- An opportunity to work for a worthy cause.
Please email your application in English to firstname.lastname@example.org including a CV and cover letter explaining how your experience is relevant to the position. Please clearly mark: “Senior Finance Officer” in the subject of your email.
Place: EEB office in Brussels
Deadline for Application: 6 January 2019
Interviews first round: Second half of January 2019
Proposed starting date: As soon as possible
The EEB is an equal-opportunities employer.
Due to limited staff resources and numbers of CVs anticipated, only candidates selected for interviews will receive a reply.
Please read our recruitment privacy statement before applying:
European Environmental Bureau AISBL
Rue des Deux Eglises 14-16, 1000 Brussels, Belgium
Tel: +32 (0)2 289 10 90; Fax: +32 (0)2 289 10 99
E-mail: email@example.com – Website: http://www.eeb.org