Lawyer-Linguist with French as main language
Type of contract: Fixed-term contract until 31 December 2020, which may be extended subject to individual performance and organisational needs
Who can apply: EU nationals
Salary: F/G band and benefits
Working time: Full-time
Place of work: Frankfurt, Germany
Closing date for applications: Wednesday, 24 April 2019
You will be part of the Legislation Division in the Directorate General Legal Services. Our Division is responsible for preparing the ECB’s legal acts in the official EU languages, for drafting legal documents and ensuring their legal, linguistic and terminological consistency, and for publishing and disseminating the ECB’s legal framework and other legal publications.
In your role as Lawyer-Linguist with French as your main language, you will be primarily responsible for translating ECB legal acts and other legal texts from English into French and for revising translations of such texts provided by external suppliers. The legal acts and texts relate to both central banking and banking supervision. You will work closely with other lawyer-linguists and lawyers in the Directorate General Legal Services, as well as staff in a variety of other ECB business areas.
The ECB is an inclusive employer and we strive to reflect the diversity of the population we serve. We encourage you to apply, irrespective of your gender, gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability or other characteristics.
As a Lawyer-Linguist you will:
- translate draft ECB legal acts and other legal texts from English into French;
- translate documents related to court proceedings from English into French;
- revise French translations of ECB legal acts and other legal texts;
- translate legal texts from French into English for internal working purposes, and revise translations from French into English of national laws, documents related to court proceedings and other legal texts;
- contribute to the drafting of ECB legal acts;
- assist in coordinating the work of a team of lawyer-linguists as required;
- liaise with counterparts within the ECB and at the Banque de France and other relevant European and national institutions;
- cooperate with freelance lawyer-linguists, which involves establishing and maintaining contacts, training, and sharing information.
The position offers you excellent opportunities to contribute to the quality of ECB legal acts. You will be part of a multicultural team that strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- a mastery-level command (i.e. native-speaker standard) of French;
- advanced command of English;
- a master’s degree or equivalent in law obtained at a university in France, Belgium or Luxembourg (for details on degree equivalences, read more).
- professional experience in translating legal, financial or economic texts from English into French or French into English, which may have been acquired through working as a lawyer in a multinational law firm;
- professional experience in drafting and/or translating legislation;
- professional experience as a lawyer-linguist, preferably with an EU institution;
- good knowledge of supervisory law and familiarity with litigation processes;
- an intermediate command of a third official language of the EU.
You engage collaboratively with others. You pursue team goals and learn willingly from other people’s diverse perspectives. You signal any need for change by explaining it and proposing alternative solutions. You analyse complex information effectively and can evaluate different views to arrive at solutions. You know and anticipate stakeholder needs.
For more information on how to apply, please click the ‘Apply’ button.