Data Center Services Manager
ABOUT THE JOB
Our thirst for technology is a part of everything we do. The Data Center Engineering team takes the physical design of our data centers into the future. Our lab mirrors a research and development department -- cutting-edge strategies are born, tested and tested again. Along with a team of great minds, you tackle complex topics like how we use power or how to run state-of-the-art, environmentally-friendly facilities. You're a visionary who optimizes for efficiencies and never stops seeking improvements -- even small changes that can make a huge impact. You generate ideas, communicate recommendations to senior-level executives and drive implementation alongside facilities technicians.
Through your leadership, you use your technical expertise to lead cross-functional teams to develop infrastructure improvements. You manage a team of engineers and assign Googlers to projects based on their capabilities and the project's demands.
As a Data Center Services Manager, you will be deeply involved in nearly every aspect of the development and operation of our data centers. You will partner with our local/regional facility managers, plant engineers and our design and construction teams to develop creative and scalable solutions.
As a motivated leader, you have demonstrated experience in the delivery of complex, multi-disciplinary, and geographically dispersed data centers - including design, development, construction and commissioning projects, and managing large group of diversified team members. You will provide leadership and management for the team delivering large-scale data centers, computer farms, networking, AC and DC power distribution/conversion, and cooling methods at multiple scales. This role manages complex schedules, budgets, and broad inter-dependencies. You have extensive experience managing large-scale technical projects in a rapidly changing industry, be able to tolerate ambiguity, and demonstrate problem solving leadership with limited oversight.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Develop detailed designs, construction, successful commissioning, close out and hand-off to operations with lowest Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), meeting safety/cost/schedule/quality targets and all customer demands.
- Establish and maintain delivery models and global relationships with multiple vendors, measuring Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and metrics.
- Create growth plans and be directly involved in hiring/recruiting of talent in the areas of project management, field engineering, document control, technical writing, EHS (Environment, Health and Safety) and sustainability, and project controls. Create scalable training programs to ensure the success of newly-added team members.
- Research and implement new construction means and methods of data center equipment and facilities. Carry design concepts into mass production and integrate into facilities.
- Manage a large, site-wide data center construction and delivery organization that has single point of accountability oversight related to major, new construction projects and/or large capital improvement projects in existing facilities, utilizing internal and outsourced resources.
- Bachelor's degree in a technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience managing multi-group/multi-disciplinary projects.
- People management experience.
- MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Construction Management or related technical field.
- Relevant work experience with data center equipment/environments, including switchgear, generators, chillers, cooling towers, air handling units, controls, security monitoring systems, fire safety systems and working understanding of start up/commissioning processes.
- Experience managing vendor relationships and an understanding of standard practices in the design and construction industry; knowledge of fast track design build processes and associated documents and agreements.
- Knowledge of large-scale facility electrical and mechanical systems with international experience.
- Demonstrated skills in requirements gathering, resource organization, task prioritization, scheduling and achieving objectives on schedule and within budget. Great attitude with internal customers and external parties, and able to address any issues.
If you recognize yourself in these responsibilities and qualifications, please send us your resume by email, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with "References + your name" as title.