The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an independent, neutral organization providing humanitarian protection and assistance for victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence. It takes action in response to emergencies, works in protracted conflicts and other situations of violence and at the same time promotes respect for international humanitarian law (IHL) and its implementation in national law.
As part of its diplomatic activities towards the European Union, NATO and Belgium, the ICRC delegation in Brussels is looking for an:
Purpose of the post
The Accountant is in charge of preparing, reconciling and analysing the accounting records and financial reports of the ICRC delegation in Brussels. Under the direct supervision of the Finance and Administration Manager he/she contributes to enforcing the ICRC rules on financial management.
Main duties and responsibilities
Within a team of 30 employees, the Accountant’s duties include:
- Bookkeeping: controls and pays invoices, follows up reimbursements (VAT exemption, expense reports), treasury management (cash and bank), records accounting entries into ICRC accounting software, participates in monthly closing activities and prepares documents to be sent to internal audit department.
- Assistance to Finance and Administration Manager: contributes to analysing and writing comments on budgetary figures, identifies and analyses differences between budget and actuals, financial forecast, prepares financial reporting, answers internal auditors’ comments on accounting.
- Procurement: prepares analyses of and validates purchase procedures, market analysis, participates in negotiation with vendors.
- Maintains daily contact with payroll company and keeps record of monthly hours (worked / absences) of locally-hired staff on secretariat services’ online platform.
Desired profile and skills
- Minimum 5 years professional experience in financial/bookkeeping management
- Graduate degree or equivalent qualification in accounting, finance or financial administration
- Excellent command of French and English (written and spoken), Dutch is a plus
- Computer proficiency (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Good organization and ability to prioritize
- Logical, practical mind
- Proactive and deadline oriented
- Ability to take initiatives and to fit into a multicultural team
- Attention to detail, high standards of accuracy
- Ability to correctly handle sensitive and confidential information
- Strong interest in humanitarian action and previous ICRC experience are a plus
What we offer
- An inspiring opportunity to practice your profession in a humanitarian and multicultural environment
- Progressive professional development and stimulating benefits package
- Contract : open ended contract
- Salary: according to ICRC Brussels salary scale and experience
- Location: Brussels
- Type of position: Resident
- Activity rate: 100% (80% possible)
- Length of assignment: Open-ended contract (Belgian labour law)
- Estimated start date: ASAP
- Application deadline: Friday, 24 May 2019
How to apply
CV and cover letter must be submitted before Friday 24 May 2019 by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (subject of the email: NAME + Accountant).
Information about processing of your personal data is available on our website: https://www.icrc.org/en/document/information-notice-processing-personal-data-0
Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.