1) About ESN
The European Social Network (ESN) is the European Network for public social services, bringing together more than 170 national, regional, and local public social services administrations from 35 countries.
ESN promotes the development of effective social policy and social care practice through building and exchange of knowledge and expertise. ESN contributes to European policymaking to improve people’s life chances through quality public social services.
To find out more, visit www.esn-eu.org.
2) About the Role
The officer will be responsible for implementing HR procedures and administration activities in the ESN Secretariat. S/he may also advise management on matters like pay negotiations, disciplinary and grievance procedures, equal opportunities policies, and employment law.
• Processes payroll, salaries, and benefits.
• Supports the development and implementation of HR initiatives and systems.
• Provides advice on policies and procedures.
• Is actively involved in recruitment processes by preparing job descriptions, posting ads, and managing the hiring process.
• Is responsible for all HR procedures, managing staff leaves, issuing contracts, etc.
• Creates and implements effective onboarding plans.
• Supports the management of disciplinary and grievance issues.
• Maintains employee records (attendance, etc.) according to policy and legal requirements.
• Reviews employment and working conditions to ensure legal compliance
• Organises occasional team training and development.
• Manage effective administration procedures and deal with general post and email enquiries
• Order and pay stationery, furniture, equipment as required
• Liaise with external providers as required
• Support other colleagues when required
• Support in organisation of events
• Representing ESN at external meetings and conferences (occasional European travel)
• Developing good working relationships with ESN Members and external stakeholders (EU institutions, NGOs, private organisations, national governments, etc.)
This list of duties is not exhaustive, and other duties may be required commensurate with the role.
4) Person’s requirements
This is a varied position which requires excellent organisational and communications skills. You should have:
• Graduate degree university qualification (HR / Psychology / Administration)
• Experience > 3 years in similar posts
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, and a second fluent European language (preferrable one of the Belgian official languages, French or Dutch)
o have worked on HR before
o have worked in liaison with a social secretariat for payroll process
o be aware of Belgian social/work laws
o have previous administration experience
• Excellent IT skills including word processing, database, and spreadsheet skills
• Ability to work autonomously
• Strong time management skills
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and have excellent follow up skills both internally and externally
5) Salary and Conditions
This is a full time office-based post constituting a Monday-Friday working week (38h).
Initial salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additional benefits include travel reimbursement, lunch vouchers, hospitalisation insurance, laptop.
Holiday allowance is 20 days pro-rata basis accrued per year worked, bank holidays, one additional day of leave every year, additional days over Christmas period, and additional days with seniority.
For employees working at the end of the year, ESN provides pro-rate 13th month pay and eco-vouchers.
We offer the opportunity to work with a well-respected European network working for a more inclusive society in a multicultural work environment. ESN supports staff in their professional development.
Please note that we only accept applications following these requirements:
In a single PDF file, no longer than 3 pages, address your application in English to ESN’s CEO Mr. Alfonso Montero at firstname.lastname@example.org including:
1) Your CV
2) A cover letter detailing your experience and how you meet the requirements.
3) In the subject of your email: ESN HR & Admin Officer– Your Name Surname
Deadline: Wed 21st June 2023 @ midnight CEST (Brussels time).
7) Recruitment process
• Interviews: Tue 27th to Thu 29th June
• Desired start date: Mid-July
• Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
• Apply only if you have the right to work and live in Belgium (you have the right documentation, currently living in Belgium or willing to relocate soon).
8) Equal Opportunities Statement
We welcome applications from all backgrounds, particularly from applicants from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds, any ethnicity or ability.
It is the policy of the European Social Network to treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or trade union membership status or any other protected characteristic.
Details of candidates are kept in the reserve list of the association for six months.
Candidates must inform ESN if they do not wish their data to be kept.